Feb 8, 2013

Tokku with haldi

When I buy mango-ginger (ma-inji), I expect the neatly wrapped packet to contain ma-inji. But when tear it open, and start scrapping the skin off, the confusion starts. The thing is orange, and smells like fresh turmeric. When I find yellow stains on my fingers, I know I have been duped, and don't even need to taste a tiny piece to know that what I have in my hands is fresh haldi, not ma-inji.
Not one to admit defeat, I used it to make the same tokku I was planning to make with ma-inji. Not quite the same thing, but close enough.


100 gms fresh turmeric, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 green chillies
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind

For tempering-
1 tbsp channa dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds/ rai
a few curry leaves
1/2 tsp methi seeds


Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil

Soak the tamarind in warm water, and press lightly to remove the pulp
Place the turmeric pieces, green chillies and tamarind pulp in a mixer and run it till most of the turmeric gets grated.
Heat oil in a kadhai, and put the stuff for tempering. When the channa dal turns brown, add the turmeric+chillies+tamarind, and cook on low heat till the raw smell goes.

Can be had with dosas, or with curds/ curd rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment