Feb 23, 2013

Coconut chutney- not the way my mother makes it

My mother's way of making coconut chutney has always worked for me, but I wanted to try something different, and this came out pretty well. Am likely to now alternate between the two versions. Come to think of it, you can't go too wrong if you have the right ingredients, can you?


Grate a coconut (I used only half, because I wasn't sure, but have given the proportions for a full coconut)
Grind together grated coconut, 1 green chilli, 1 tbsp channa dal (soaked for about 10 mins in warm water) and the juice of an inch piece of ginger (recipe called for ginger, but I decided to play safe), with sufficient water to get a smooth consistency. Add salt to taste, and 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix well.
Temper with 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp urad dal, 1 sprig curry leaves and 1 red chilli (which I left out).

No comments:

Post a Comment