Feb 26, 2013

Cabbage bake

My mother used to make this very often when I was growing up, and I really, really loved it. Though really simple to pull off, I don't make it as often as I could, but when I do, it gets polished off in no time at all.



1 cup cabbage cut into thin slices
1 cup onions cut into thin slices
1 cup gram flour/ besan
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp jeera pwd
1 tsp red chilli pwd
salt to taste
1 tbsp sesame seeds or 1 tbsp mustard seeds for tempering

Mix all the ingredients (except sesame/ mustard seeds) to make a thick paste- you might have to take a little less of water, and add more if you need.
Grease a baking dish, and pour the batter evenly. If using sesame seeds, sprinkle it evenly on the top.
Bake in pre-heated oven till it turns brownish, or in microwave as per the recommended settings for a sponge cake.
Cool. Temper the mustard in a bit of butter/ oil, and pour on top. Cut into squares/ wedges.
Best with tomato ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment