Feb 16, 2013

Chicken Biryani

Everyone in the family (me included) loves chicken biryani, but we have been singularly unlucky in finding a place where they serve "good" chicken biryani. Most places are either too spicy, or too dry, or just don't have enough chicken. Once, and only once, I attempted to make it using a ready made mix, but the less said about that experience, the better.
My hubby swears by the biryani that his father's maid makes, and on my recent trip to Delhi, I made her teach me how she does it. It seemed easy enough, but I was always too scared to try. And then, finally, I took the plunge. And I am glad I did!

Soak 2 measures of rice with black cardamon, bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon sticks for 15 minutes, then cook till 75% done. Drain and keep aside.
In a hard bottomed kadhai, fry 2 chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste till the raw smell goes. Add 3 chopped tomatoes, and 1 tsp each of dhania pwd, jeera pwd, red chilli pwd and garam masala pwd. Fry on a low flame till the tomatoes get squashy.
Add 1 kg chicken (curry cut will be best, but I had only legs) and salt to taste, stir till all the chicken is coated with the masala, cover the kadhai and let it cook in its own heat till the chicken is almost done (gravy should be thick, but present).
While it is cooking, chop one onion lengthwise, and fry in ghee till well browned. Keep aside.
Grease a container with ghee, arrange a layer of rice, sprinkle some browned onions, squeeze about 1/2 tsp lemon juice, arrange one layer of chicken pieces, drizzle with gravy. Repeat. Finish by placing a last layer of rice, browned onions and lemon juice.
Cover with a tight lid (leaving a small vent so the pressure doesn't build up), and zap it on the microwave for 2 1/2 mins (you can also cook it for 15 minutes on the stove, but giving it indirect heat by placing on a tawa).

Serve piping hot. And don't be caught unawares when you are asked to make it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment