Feb 21, 2013

Khichdi- my "comfort" way


Khichdi is one of my favourite comfort foods, one that I make it as often as I can get away with. Hubby and kids are not particularly fond of it, but as long as it is sufficiently runny and has lots of ghee, they don't mind having it, so it gets made at least once every fortnight. This may not be the authentic version, but it is my favourite version.

2 measures rice (I use a small cup as a measure)
1 measure masoor dal
1 measure dhuli moong dal
Mixed veggies cut into bite sizes (I use carrots, beans, cauliflowers, peas in various proporitons) - 1 cup
1 or two potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
2 onions sliced fine
1 inch piece of ginger
2 green chillis (more or less according to taste)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp jeera 
salt to taste
1 tbsp cooking oil

Dry roast the dals, and keep aside
Heat the cooking oil, temper with jeera. Add onions and ginger when the jeera stops spluttering, and fry on low heat till onions start turning transparent.
Put all the ingredients in a pressure cooker, add water (two parts water for every part of rice and dal), and pressure cook for two whistles (first whistle on high heat, second on low heat).
Put a dollop of ghee, and stir well before serving (you can also throw a red chillie in heated ghee, and temper before serving).

No comments:

Post a Comment