Feb 15, 2013

Pav bhaaji

The first time I made pav bhaaji, it was a hit and miss effort. I used to like some of the pav bhaaji's you got in Bombay, but not all of them, and was pleasantly surprised when I got it right the first time. The trick, I am certain, was in the Pav Bhaaji masala- because I might vary all the other proportions, but as long as I get that right, it works out great.
Luckily for me, the kids love it too, so I end up making it on most days when the kids are home for lunch.




Pressure cook 3 large potatoes (I chop them into eight parts, before putting them in the cooker, so they take the same time to get done as the rest of the vegetables), AND
Pressure cook 1 carrot (diced), 4-6 florets of cauliflower, 15-20 beans, a handful of shelled peas
Heat some oil in a pan, temper with jeera. When jeera starts spluttering, add 1 chopped onion and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, and fry on low heat till onions start turning transparent.
Add 1 chopped tomato, salt to taste, red chilli powder and (Everest) pav bhaaji masala, and stir till tomatoes get done.
Throw in the vegetables and the (peeled) potatoes, and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes, mashing with the back of the spoon as you do so. Add 1 cap full of vinegar and a blob of butter (optional). Stir and take off the flame.

Serve with chopped onions, and pav fried in butter*

* - Slit the pavs in half, put a huge blob of butter on the tava, and fry both sides till brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment