Feb 22, 2013

Odiya Doi Begun

My friend, MP grew up in Orissa, and of the Odiya dishes she's shared, the one I most wanted to make was this one. I finally got down to making it today, and loved it. 
Made a couple of changes from the original- no tempering (because nobody is too fond of it in any case), and I beat the curds with powdered, roasted jeera, the juice of an inch piece of ginger and salt.


Wash and pat the baingan dry and apply a bit of chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
Deep fry the baingan and keep aside
Now beat dahi well with salt and keep aside
Heat oil. Put a tadka of the following
- mustard seeds
- curry leaves
- heeng (is not there in the original dish or my mom's version but I add because I like it)
- finely chopped ginger (some people put garlic, my mom puts ginger and I like the flavour of ginger in this dish)
- dry red chillies
- some broken green chillies if you want it more spicy

Now put the deep fried baingan in the dish. Pour dahi on top and then pour the tadka on top of everything. Before serving put some roast jeera powder on top if you wish. Remember no heating or cooking the dahi.

No comments:

Post a Comment