Jul 2, 2014

Upma kozhukattai

A couple of weeks back, a couple of Tam Bram friends were talking about popular "tiffin" items, and the name upma kozhukattai came up. It looked interesting, and I immediately wanted to make it, but I put it off, and other things took over. Yesterday, I saw the dish again, and since both the kids were home for lunch today, I made it right away.
My mother tells me that this is not the authentic version, but it works for me, and I am sticking to it.

¾ cups rice flour
1 cup plus 2 tbsp of water
1 tsp gingelly oil
1 mor mozhaga

½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp urad dal
1 large pinch jeera
1 large pinch hing pwd
1 green chilli – chopped
Curry leaves – 1 sprig chopped

Salt to taste
 

Method: 
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, wait till it splutters, add all the other ingredients except rice flour, salt and water. 
Once the dal starts to turn brown, add water and salt, then pour in the rice flour, stirring all the while. 
Switch off the fire and continue to stir till the rice forms a ball around the spoon. Let cool a bit and then shape into tiny balls (I made 36 balls from this amount). 
Place in a greased colander and steam for 7-8 mins on high till soft but springy. Serve hot with sambar, rasam or chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment