Jul 25, 2014

Stuffed karela

The first time I visited her after marriage, my mother in law made stuffed karelas for dinner. More out of politeness than anything else, I told her it was lovely, and after that, she insisted on sending me karelas everytime anyone was coming to Bombay. To stop that, I asked her for the recipe, and even though I haven't made it too often, the recipe is inked in my mind.
Karela- 250 gms
Onions - 250 gms, I picked really small ones
Dhania pwd- 1/2 tsp
Red chilli pwd- 1/2 tsp
Haldi pwd- 1/2 tsp
Amchur pwd- 1/2 tsp
Salt, to taste
Cooking oil- 3 to 4 tbsp

Method:
Scrape the skin of the karela, slit lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cover with salt, and let it stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze the excess water out, and remove the salt.
Mix all the dry spices and salt.
Stuff the karela with the mixture.
Cut each onion in a cross (making sure to ensure you do not cut right through), and stuff with the spice mix.
Heat the oil, slide the onions and karela in, and fry for 5 minutes. Turn off the flame, cover with a lid, and let it cook in its own steam for another 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment