Jul 1, 2014

Marble Cake

One of the first cakes I baked was a chocolate-vanilla marble cake. I was in my early teens, and I still remember mixing the batter in my mother's ceramic mixing bowls (where did they go, I wonder), and drawing marbling patterns with a knitting needle. Though I've made double flavour cakes several times in the past few months, I didn't really get down to making a proper marble cake. This is my attempt to change that!

Batter for making Sponge Cake- this is a good recipe
Food coloring and flavouring of choice.

Divide the cake batter into two halves. Put in a few drops of colouring and essence in both parts, and mix well (I used lemon and yellow in one and strawberry and pink in the other).
Line the baking dish with butter paper.
Put three tablespoon size globs of batter on the dish.
Pour three tablespoons of batter of the other colour in the empty spaces, taking care to cover the surface entirely.
Drop three tablespoons of batter over the blobs in the other colour. Fill up the empty spaces with the other colour.
The batter should get over in two layers, but if it doesn't, repeat with a third layer.
Smoothen the level, then dip a knitting needle in the batter, and draw swirl patterns.
Bake as per recommended settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment