Jul 30, 2014

Appam/ lacy rice hoppers

Ever since I had my first appam and vegetable stew at a restaurant in Bombay soon after my marriage, I have been a fan of the dish. So much so, I spent severeal months in Delhi, hunting for a place that would satisfy my craving for it.
A few years back, I saw my friend making it, and have been wanting to try it at home, but that day never seemed to come. Untill I finally mustered up all the courage I possessed and tried it out. I followed this recipe, and am reasonably satisfied with the result.



2 cups regular rice (I used kolam)
1 cup boiled rice
A fistful of cooked rice
1 cup grated coconut
½ tsp dry active yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt or add as required
Water or as required for grinding
Oil as required

Method:
Rinse rice and soak together for 4 to 5 hours.
Drain, and place in the grinder. Add grated coconut, cooked rice, salt and most of the sugar.
With the remaining sugar and 2 tbsp water, proof the yeast for 10 minutes.
Add required amount of water and grind all the ingredients to a smooth flowing batter- the batter would have to be very smooth.
Add the yeast, mix well, pour into a large bowl, cover and keep aside for fermenting for 8 to 12 hours, depending on the temperature conditions.
The batter will rise and increase in volume the next day.
Heat a kadai or an appam pan with handles. Smear some oil on the kadai.
Pour two ladles of batter, turn and tilt the pan to spread the batter
Cover the pan and let the appam cook, till the base is light golden. Do not flip over
Serve hot or warm with vegetable stew, or sweetened coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment