Jul 11, 2014

Apple kheer

Two days back, I decided to give up sugar for a few weeks to see how my body adapts to the change. Since it was a spur of the moment decision taken during the course of a single run, I didn't have time to prepare myself for the change. And of course, the one thing my tongue doesn't stop craving is ... you guessed it.... sugar.
I could cheat, and use honey or palm sugar, or some other sugar substitute, but I prefer to play by the rules I have set for myself. This apple kheer (adapted from chana payash) was a perfect compromise- the sweetness comes entirely from natural sources, and it is definitely enough of a dessert to satisfy my craving.

1 litre milk
1 large apple
1 tbsp curds
1/2 time
A pinch of nutmeg powder




Method:
Make paneer out of 1/2 litre of milk (paneer recipe here- I mixed in curds before boiling, and added the lime juice after it started boiling).
While the paneer is draining, take the rest of the milk in a heavy bottomed vessel, and reduce it on a low flame till it is about 75% of the original volume.
Add finely sliced pieces of the apple, and keep stirring till the volume reduces to half the original volume.
Grate the paneer into the milk, and cook on a low flame till you achieve the desired consistency.
Add nutmeg powder, and mix well.
Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment