Jul 2, 2014

Quick chunda

I've been wanting to make chunda from before the mango season began, but life was super hectic during those summer months, and I never got down to doing so. Once the alphansos came (and went), I resigned myself to waiting another year before I could make chunda- and then surprise of surprise, I came across a few raw mangoes and picked them up.
However, before I could gather the ingredients to make chunda, the monsoons arrived and I was left holding a raw mango that I didn't know what to do with. A quick google search showed me something called a quick chunda that could be made without having to keep it in the sun, and before I could change my mind, I whipped up this batch for me.



1 raw mango grated
1/2 tsp haldi powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp jeera roasted and powdered
3/4 cup sugar (I got about a cup of grated mango)


Method:
Add haldi and salt to the mango, mix well.
Add 2 tbsp sugar, mix well, and leave it for 5-10 minutes till it is well incorporated. Add another 2 tbsp and keep repeating the process till all the sugar is incorporated.
On a very low flame, heat the mango mixture till all the sugar dissolves- do not heat too much or the sugar might start crystallizing.
Add red chilli powder and jeera, mix well and store in an airtight container.


The chunda is ready to eat right away, and tastes incredible with dal rotis made from leftover dal.

No comments:

Post a Comment