Oct 1, 2012

Bread bombs

My mother used to make this for me when I returned home from school ravenous. Then she started working longer hours, and I forgot all about this, till all that talk of beetroot cutlets and veg chops reminded me of this. Recipe my own, because my mother seems to have forgotten all about it, but it tasted exactly like I remembered, so must be somewhat close to "authentic".


Steam assor ted veggies# till soft (I used 2 medium beetroots, 3 small carrots, and a handful of beans, but you can also add peas and cauliflowers).
Boil 2 medium potatoes*
Mash the potatoes and the veggies separately, and mix them together. Fry 1/2 onion chopped and peanuts (optional), till onion turns translucent. Add to the mashed vegetables. Add salt to taste and 1 tsp pav bhaji masala (garam masala would work too- I used pav bhaji masala so it would taste similar to something the kids are used to).
Roll into balls (size of a ping-pong ball), and keep aside.
Cut off the crusts from a slice of bread, moisten one side, press down on palm, place the ball inside and cover, moulding to form desired shape. Drop into the oil and deep fry.
Tastes best with mustard sauce and nostalgia!

* time saving tip- cut the potatoes into 1/8ths, and cook in pressure cooker, along with the veggies (in separate containers)- both take roughly the same amount of time
# destring the beans before steaming, but peeling beets and carrots is much easier after they are cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment