Oct 16, 2012

Adai

In traditional Brahmin households in Tamil Nadu, no cereals are consumed on Ekadashi Day, and adai is a  staple dinner item. It is normally made on a thick iron tawa, and is famous for the amount of oil it consumes.  Some of my earliest "cooking" memories are of me making adai for my grandfather while my parents were at a musical concert, and he challenging me to make it with much less oil, than it requires. Had he been around now, I could have made him adai with practically no oil- non-stick pans are a boon, even if the colour does suffer somewhat.


1 measure rice (preferably par-boiled rice)
2 measures moong dal (I prefer the ones with skin)
1 measure urad dal
1 measure chana dal
1 tbsp methi seeds
4-5 red chilli (as per taste, I normally use only 2)
5-6 curry leaves (I leave it out)
1 inch piece of ginger
cooking oil

Soak the dals and rice overnight (soak in the same container).
Grind soaked dals and rice, with methi seeds, red chilli, ginger (I chop it) and curry leaves, with sufficient water till it reaches a 'dosa like' consistency.
Add salt and mix well.
Spread the batter on a tawa like you would for dosas (after bringing the temperature down by sprinkling water, put cooking oil along the edge and the middle, and allow it to cook on low heat till the edges are well done. Flip over and let the other side get cooked.
Ideally had with jaggery and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment