Oct 9, 2012

Chutney podi Andhra/ Madhava style

I always thought I loved my mother's gunpowder, but when I tasted the Andhra/ Madhava version, it was love at first bite. This recipe is from my mother's friend (handed down to her from her mother in law), and unlike the Tamil version, this is often had by mixing it with rice. Don't tell anyone, but I often take a bit of this, add ghee and like that Horlicks kid of yesteryears, "emni emni kori khai".


1 cup chana dal
1/2 cup urad dal
1 cup grated copra
23 red chillies (she likes her food very hot, so I might tune it down a bit)
1/4 cup powdered jaggery
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind
1 tsp salt

Fry chana dal, urad dal and red chillies separately in a kadhai using very little oil each time. Allow all to cool.
Lightly fry the copra. Allow to cool.
Tear tamarind into small pieces and roast lightly
Dry grind copra and tamarind together, with salt and jaggery- mixture should not be too fine.

Heat 5 tsp oil, and season mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Remove from the fire.
Add the ground dals and chillis and mix well.
Though this can be stored for several months, since it has coconut, I prefer to store in the refrigerator.

At the risk of being branded an outcast by my community, once you have tasted this, the Tamil gunpowder doesn't seem nearly as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment