Oct 29, 2012

Eggless cake (with curds)

When I was talking to a baker friend about the banana cake I made, her first comment was, "time you shifted to other substitutes for eggs. You are going to get fed up of the taste of bananas soon enough." I wasn't sure if I was ready to take on the challenge of putting curds in a cake, but since I was assured that it would work, I did, and it didn't taste half bad.
But I will keep on the lookout for a "perfect" eggless cake recipe- this is definitely not that one.



1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup curds (set, but not sour)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cooking oil
4 tbsp cocoa powder

Stir together, curds, sugar and oil till well blended. Keep aside for a few minutes (till small bubbles start to rise)
Sieve maida, baking powder and cocoa powder till well mixed
Spoon in the dry mixture, stirring constantly
Pour into a greased bowl, and microwave as per recommended settings (5 minutes on high worked fine)
Check by pushing in a toothpick- if it comes out clean, it is done

[The batter was much looser than that made using eggs, so it will not work if you want to put in nuts or fruits. And it will definitely not work if you want to bake in layers.
Passed the taste test- perfect for when you want to whip something in a hurry]

No comments:

Post a Comment