Feb 27, 2014

Patti's Keerai Mashiyal

Nostalgia comes in many forms. One of them takes the form of dreaming about some of the stuff that used to be served at my grandmother's place. All of us sitting around the dining table. Rice piled on the plates in front of us. A big dollop of ghee being dropped on top of the rice - my uncle asking for his to be on the side, so he could lick it- and the food. Parupu and keerai made an appearance very often, and I can't think of those times without the taste lingering on my tongue.
I got this recipe from my mother, even though I don't remember her ever making it for me, and it tasted every bit as good as it I remember it to be.


1 bunch chawli/ amaranth leaves
1/2 tsp jeera
Salt to taste
1 tsp rice flour

For tempering
Oil
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 red chilli
1 sprig curry leaves
A pinch of hing

Method
Wash and finely chop the amaranth leaves.
Cook covered with very little water, salt and jeera, will well done. Mash well with the back of a spoon
Dissolve rice flour in water, add to the cooked greens, and cook a little more.
Temper oil with urad dal, mustard seeds, hing, red chilli and curry leaves, pour over the greens and mix well.
Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment