Feb 14, 2014

Ginger Chicken

I am not a great believer in Valentine's Day. Actually, scratch that- I am not a believer in Valentine's Day at all. But I still wanted to make something "special" today, only because I could.
After going through a bunch of recipes, I decided to try out this 'ginger chicken' recipe from MM's blog. I wasn't able to fry the chicken, so had to cook the whole thing after attempting to fry it, but the speed with which it disappeared makes me want to try it out again, soon.

Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, 500 gms (I used curry cut chicken, because that's all I could get)
Onions, finely chopped, 1 large
Light Soy Sauce
4 tbsp Vinegar
4 tsp Honey
2 tbsp Fresh Ginger, finely grated
2 tbsp Oil
2 tbsp Water
about ¼ cup Sesame seeds
1 tbsp (optional) Green onions, for garnishing
Salt and Pepper, if needed, to taste

Method
Wash and clean the chicken. Remove all the extra fat and cut into bite sized pieces.
Whisk together the light soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and ginger together in a bowl. Add in the chicken and mix well. Marinate for at least half an hour. Once ready to cook, strain the chicken from the marinade and keep aside.
Heat a wok or frying pan over medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add the chicken and stir fry in batches till almost done. Do remember that the chicken and marinade have honey in it so if the pan is too hot , the sugar will burn and get bitter; if the pan is too cool, chicken will braise in its own water instead of frying. Please adjust heat accordingly. Once done, take the chicken out and keep aside
Add the chopped onion and the reserved marinade to the pan. Fry for 10-15 seconds and add the water.
Let the mixture come to a boil and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes till onions go soft and the sauce reduces to coating consistency. Check and adjust seasonings.
Add the chicken back in and mix well. At this stage, I covered the dish, and let it cook for about 15 minutes because I wasn't sure if it was done.
Add in the sesame seeds, mix and take the chicken off heat.
Garnish with green onions and serve with rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment