Feb 26, 2014

Green tomato chutney

I got this traditional Lingayat recipe from my mother who got it from her friend last year, and made it immediately. But after that first batch, whenever I went looking for green tomatoes, all I found were tindas! 
After the passage of a few seasons, I chanced upon green tomatoes the other day, and immediately picked up a bunch to make green tomato chutney. Since the fridge is fully of chutneys right now, I've frozen it for the time being. Looking forward to pairing it with my paniyarams in a couple of weeks! 


1 onion chopped
6 to 8 pods of garlic (I add a bit more)
2 green chillies (I use one large)

250 gms green tomatos (chopped)
1 sprig curry leaves

Handful of roasted chana dal (pottukadalai)
Cooking oil
Salt to taste

Method:
Fry onion, garlic and green chili till the raw smell goes.
Add chopped green tomatoes and curry leaves,and keep frying on a low flame for 2- 3 minutes.
Add a handful of channa dal and salt to taste to the mixture, and blend till it attains a "chutney" consistancy.
Can be stored under refridgeration for upto 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment