Feb 9, 2014

Date walnut cake

I always thought eggless cakes were an oxymoron, then I started making a few of my own, and reluctantly agreed that they could be done. But as I surf the internet, I find so very many varieties of eggless cakes, I am absolutely floored.
This recipe came because I wasn't able to access my own tried and tested recipe for an eggless cake, so took the help of google to find something to accompany our Sunday tea. Came out better than I expected, and am definitely making it again.

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour/atta
½ cup all purpose flour/maida
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
1 cup milk
¾ cup water
1 cup seedless dates
½ cup walnuts
2 tbsp flax seeds
2 tbsp melon seeds
2 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt


Method

Chop the dates and walnuts and keep aside.
Heat the milk and switch off the flame, add the coffee powder and stir. Add the dates,and allow it to soak for 20 minutes
Seive the whole wheat flours and all purpose flour with salt, baking soda and baking powder.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/392 F.
Add sugar, soaked dates with milk, oil and water to the sieved flour, and mix well, till well aerated.
Add the chopped walnuts, flax seeds and melon seeds to the batter and mix well.
Pour the batter into the cupcake liners.
Bake for 20-25 minutes till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Alternately, pour the batter into ceramic/ glass cups, and cook for 60 seconds on the microwave

No comments:

Post a Comment