Feb 28, 2014

Gujarati kadhi

One of many reasons I love a Gujarathi thali is because of the sweet kadhi that comes with the piping hot khichudi. Khichudi is easy to replicate, but for some reason, I never thought to attempt the kadhi. Never, that is, till I made kadhi three times in a fortnight recently, and got thinking about whether I should now attempt something a little different.
Asked a few Gujaratis for the recipe, but the ones they gave me didn't seem to be what my taste buds remembered, so I took the basic recipe from Tarla Dalal, and tweaked it a bit. Maybe I am imagining it, but it tasted pretty much as I remember.




2 tbsp besan
1 1/2 cups curds
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste (I crushed one green chilli and used 1/2 tsp ginger paste)
2 curry leaves
2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
For The Tempering
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch hing
1 red chilli , broken into pieces
1/2 tsp methi seeds
2 tsp ghee

Method
Combine the besan, curds and 2 1/2 cups of water in a deep pan and whisk well.
Add the ginger-green chilli paste, sugar and salt, mix well and bring it to boil, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the jeera and mustard seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the hing, methi seeds, curry leaves and red chillies and stir for 15 seconds.
Pour the tempering over the kadhi and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment