Feb 6, 2014

Papeta par Eendu

Two monsoons ago, a group of friends and I went to Lonavala for a weekend run. We left at the crack of dawn, and by the time we returned after running through the clouds to Amby Valley and back, we were so ravenous we could have eaten anything. Since the time of our return was uncertain, the cook at the Masonic Lodge where we were staying had prepared a brunch of boiled eggs, toast and something that I was told was a Parsi preparation. It tasted wonderful, but wouldn't anything taste wonderful after you have run more than 20 miles? Busy as I was with gobbling the food, I didn't take the recipe from the cook, and soon forgot all about it.
It was when we started talking about preparing Parsi dishes over the weekend, that I remembered the dish, and asked Jenifer if it was indeed an authentic Parsi dish, or just an urban myth. She assured me that it was an authentic dish, and even gave me the recipe. My kids and I had it with (store bought) ladi pav for dinner, and after licking my plate clean, I was left asking for more.

4 potatoes boiled and cubed
3 tbsp butter
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 green chilli
1/2 tsp jeera powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste


3 eggs

Heat butter. Add ginger garlic paste, green chillis, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and salt, and fry lightly.
Add the cubed potatoes, mix well, and fry till it starts browing.
Meanwhile, beat the white of an egg till well aerated, add yolk and beat some more. 
Layer the potatoes in the dish, add abou 1/4 cup water, and pour the egg batter. Cover the pan, and let it cook in it's own steam till done.

No comments:

Post a Comment