Jul 30, 2015

Jhal moori

Anybody who's grown up in Calcutta will swear that jhal is the best dish you can make out of puffed rice. Make no mistake, I do love the Bambaiya bhel with its notes of tamarind and mint, but offer me a choice between that and jhal moori, and I'll pick the comforting taste of mustard oil any day. So though I am trying to go easy on milk and sugar, I pile on the MO when I snack on this dish.
1 cup puffed rice
Onions, chopped fine
Green chillies, chopped fine
Tomatoes, chopped fine
Boiled potatoes, chopped fine
Peanuts
Salt, to taste
Red chilli powder, to taste
1 tsp mustard oil, for ever cup of moori*

Method:
Roast the peanuts, cool
Add peanuts, onions, chillies, tomatoes, potatoes to the moori and mix well
Add salt and red chilli powder, mix
Add mustard oil, cover the container, and shake vigorously to mix well
Serve, preferable in a paper cone

*- you can substitute the MO with the oil floating on top of pickle

No comments:

Post a Comment