Jul 14, 2015

Hibiscus brittle

Once you start cooking with flowers, it is hard not to get addicted. And hibiscus flowers are one of the best to cook with because of the almost magical way the colours change when you add the lime juice.
So when I saw two juicy hibiscus flowers while taking the dog for a walk, I had to make myself some brittle. The flavour is quite incredible. 

4 hibiscus flowers
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 lime

Method:
Bring the water to boil. Add the hibiscus petals, and let it infuse for 15-20 minutes. 
Squeeze in the lime juice and watch it change colour to a deep red. 
Return the water to the fire, add sugar. Stir till add the sugar is dissolved, and keep heating till you get a two string consistency. 
Pour onto a greased surface and let it cool. Break into pieces, and use. 
I used it to sweeten my oats, but you can use it anywhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment