Jul 28, 2015

Ragi idiyappan

The packers seem to have lost an entire carton of kitchen equipment, so I had to go shopping for things as basic as kadhais, tawas and pressure cookers. Since this is the first time I have gone utensil shopping since I started cooking seriously, I ended up picking up a whole lot of stuff I never possessed, but which I now feel I cannot do without. One of them was the sevai maker (which can double up as a chakli maker), which I had to try out at once. I could have started with the conventional seat, but thought of making a ragi sevai instead. I've adapted the recipe so it tastes like ragi puttu, and we all loved it.

2 cups ragi flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups water
Grated coconut to taste
1 or 2 bananas
Oil for greasing

Additional equipment- idli steamer, sevai maker

Method:
Roast the ragi flour till the raw smell goes. Add salt and mix well. 
Gradually add water, mixing and kneading throughout, till you get a consistency thicker than dosa batter but looser than roti dough*. Knead a bit more, till smooth. 
Grease the idli maker and the inside of the sevai maker with a bit of oil. 
Fill the sevai maker with the dough, and pipe it onto the idli moulds.
Cut the banana into slices and place around and above the piped dough. 
Steam for 15 minutes. 
Carefully demould the idyappams, garnish with coconut (you can mix some sugar with it), and steamed bananas and serve. 

You can also enjoy idyappams with butter and sugar. 


*- I am not mentioning quantities, because the recipes I said 2:3, but i required only 1:1

No comments:

Post a Comment