Jun 5, 2014

Stuffed brinjals in green tuvar gravy

This recipe was so different from anything I have tasted that it had me at hello. I just had to try it out to see what it was like, so when I bought half a kilogram of brinjals this week, I made sure to keep a few aside for trying out this dish.
What can I say about it? Except that it was different beyond expectations, and I loved it so much, I am definitely making it again soon.


1 cup tuvar dal soaked for 15-20 minutes
5-6 baby brinjals
3-4 baby potatoes

For ground masala
1 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
3-4 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1 tsp turmeric pwd
1 tbsp coriander pwd
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 green chilli
1 tsp red chilli pwd
a pinch hing

Cooking oil
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar (optional - I didn't add)

Method
Grind all the ingredients listed under ground masala to a smooth paste.
Slit the brinjals crosswise, and stuff with the ground masala.
In a pressure pan heat 2 tbsp oil add the stuffed brinjals and saute for 5 minutes , add the potatoes, soaked dal and the remaining masala and saute on  medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 1  1/2 cups water and pressure cook for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment