Jun 27, 2014

Calcutta style rassa aloo

I am constantly on the lookout for easy recipes with potatoes, because that is one of the few vegetables that everyone in my family relishes. When I read about this recipe, I was transplanted back to my Calcutta days, and I tweaked the ingredients so it matched with what I remember of the rassa aloo that I used to have there.

4 large potatoes
2 green chillis
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 inch piece ginger, chopped fine
A pinch of hing
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp amchur powder
1 tbsp mustard oil


Method:
Boil potatoes and mash slightly to make small pieces.
Heat the mustard oil, and temper with green chilli, jeera, ginger and hing.
When the jeera stops spluttering and starts browning, add the potatoes and turmeric powder. Mix well and add water and salt.
Bring it to boil, lower heat and keep stirring. The gravy will start thickening, as the potatoes mash and start getting mixed. Add amchur powder and mix well. When the gravy looks nice, take off the fire, and serve with rotis, puris or luchis.

No comments:

Post a Comment