Mar 17, 2014

Tair Shadam

Very many years back, I had a colleague who used to make tair shadam by setting the curds in the rice itself. Though I loved the idea, I never really tried it out. Mostly because I rarely set my own curds (preferring instead to buy it packaged), but also because when it comes to certain things, there is a huge disconnect between intention and action!

But when I ended up with a good amount of left over rice, less than an hour after seeing someone blog about the "dahi chawal" they set, I decided to try it out for myself, and it was pretty good!


1 cup left over rice
500 ml milk
2 tbsp starter for the curds
Salt to taste
1 green chilli

For tempering
urad dal
mustard seeds
green chilli
curry leaves
oil

Method
Separate the rice well, and spread it over the bottom of the bowl.
Boil the milk, bring it down to room temperature, and mix the starter curds with it so it is properly incorporated.
Pour the milk over the rice, add salt to taste and one green chilli (for the flavour), and allow it to set in a warm place overnight.
Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and green chilli before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment