Mar 18, 2014

Cilbir- Poached Eggs in Garlic Yogurt

I first heard of Cilbir when a photograph came up on my newsfeed. Poached eggs, garlic, and yogurt. Three of my favourite things. Naturally, I was intrigued. I didn't think the three would go together, but I had to try it out to know for myself.
Since I hadn't taken down the recipe, I asked Google Uncle for help, and came up with this recipe that I eventually used. Delicious!
1 liter of boiling water
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
2 cups yogurt
4 cloves of garlic
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Method
Crush the garlic cloves and add them into yogurt. Stir well until the yogurt holds a creamy texture. Add salt. Keep the bowl next to the flame on which you will be poaching the eggs, so it is brought down to room temperature.
Melt butter in a saucepan, add paprika and remove from heat.
In a deep skillet, bring water to boil. Add salt and vinegar into water. Keep the skillet on low heat. The surface of the water should not be trembling, but it should still be hot enough. Crack an egg into a bowl, and gently ease it into the water. Allow the first one to settle a bit before adding the second egg. Cook each egg for about 3-4 minutes until the outer layer becomes opaque and the yolk is still a bit wobbly, but not too runny.
When you are ready to serve, remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon, drain and place them atop the yogurt in each plate. Drizzle melted butter sauce over the eggs and yogurt, re-heat the butter sauce if needed and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment