Mar 19, 2014

Skinny Lemon Cakes

"Mamma, I'm hungry. Can I have one of your awesome cupcakes", asked my younger one. I knew it was not love for my cooking that was talking- it was only fear that I might dish up spinach muffins again that was coercing him into taking preventive measure.
"Which one?", I asked, hoping he would say chocolate or something equally simple.
"Lemon", he said, before adding, "eggless maybe, since Papa is also at home."
There went my dreams of whipping up a quick sponge cake. Since I was going to Google Uncle to help with recipes, I thought of making something butterless too, so I could conserve my dwindling stocks of butter.
Eggless, butterless, citric. I could only hope I would come up with something decent, but this cake was lovely beyond any I expected. Presenting an absolute winner of a skinny lemon cake.


1 and 3/4 cup cake flour (maida, with 1.5 tbsp cornflour)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 and 1/4 cup curds
1/2 cup castor sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
3 tbsp lemon juice
yellow colour, optional
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Method
Combine curd and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat it using hand blender or whisk. Add lemon rind, lemon juice, colour and vegetable oil. Blend it again. Keep it aside.
Sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add this dry mixture to wet mixture and mix everything well.
Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Take a greased muffin pan, and fill it with cake batter (I got 12 cupcakes). Keep the pan in oven and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 mins. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick at the center. It should come out clean

No comments:

Post a Comment