Dec 3, 2013

Mor kuzhu

When I was a kid, I associated mor kuzhu with summer holidays at my favourite grandmother's place. No matter which city she was in, Patti would always make this family favourite for breakfast at least a few times during every holiday.
After I grew up and moved out of home, my mother started the tradition. Knowing I loved mor kuzhu, she started making it for breakfast at least once during every visit. That however, only lasted as long as I was her daughter and not the mother of her grandchildren. Once the kids came along, the menu became what she assumed the kids would like, and mor kuzhu was resigned to spend the rest of its life in the recesses of my memory.
And then, very hesitatingly, I asked her for the recipe, and she offered to teach me how to make it. Her attempt, unfortunately, didn't come out well, but since it passed the taste test, I was embolded to try it for myself.
Call it beginner's luck, if you will, but not only did the mor kuzhu set perfectly, it allowed me to cut it into (near) perfect squares.

2 tbsp rice atta
1 cup sour curds, diluted with 1 cup water
Salt (a little less than usual)

For tempering
5 tsps cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 mor molahai* broken into pieces
hing, optional

Method
Mix the rice flour with the buttermilk and salt and keep aside
Heat the oil, add the ingredients listed under "tempering", and fry till the mor molahai gets done.
Add the buttermilk- rice flour mix, and keep stirring on a low flame, till it changes colour and starts pulling away from the sides of the pan
Pour onto a greased plate and cut into squares after cooled.


* mor molahai will be available in any store that stocks Tamilian stuff. To me, the taste of mor kuzhu is in the mor molahai, but you can substitute it with a regular tempering of urad dal and green chillis.

No comments:

Post a Comment