Dec 13, 2013

Masala anda

I first heard about the Mexican "huevos rancheros" ten years back (yes, I had to look up the name, because I had forgotten it), and made an Indianised version for myself several times when I was expecting my first child. For some strange reason, though I thought of it often, I never got down to making it after I became a mother. Then Tarina posted a lovely photograph of "masala anda" on IFF, and when she insisted that it tasted better without the garlic, I just had to try it, if only to prove her wrong. Whether I have become a better cook, or if it is really true that eggs and garlic don't go together, I don't know, but this definitely tasted divine when I had it for lunch.
two eggs
1 onion
1 tomato
1/2 inch piece of ginger
red chill powder
parsley, basil and oregano to taste
salt to taste
cooking oil

Method
Cut the onions, tomatoes and ginger lengthwise.
Fry the onions till transparent. Toss in the ginger and tomatoes and swirl around on a very low flame till the tomatoes start getting mushy.
Add the spices, mix well, and spread it across the bottom of the pan.
Break the eggs carefully over the mixture, sprinkle salt on the eggs, and cover with a lid, so the eggs cook in their own steam.
When the eggs are done to your satisfaction, slide it out onto a plate, and enjoy with hot, buttered toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment