Dec 17, 2013

Beetroot halwa

Though often eclipsed by it's more famous cousin, gajar ka halwa, in my house, beetroot halwa was always (if not more) as popular. My mother had a maid to do the chopping and grating, so there was rarely a single day in winter that we didn't have one of the two desserts to feast on.
Personally, I don't like making beetroot halwa, because the vegetable leaves a nasty stain on the hands, but since carrots haven't come to the market yet, I had no choice but to make this today, and I am glad I did.


250 gms beetroot- peeled and grated
equal measure milk
2 tbsp sugar (you can add more, but the beetroot is sweet in itself)
cashewnuts
cardamon

Method
Wash, peel and grate the beetroots and keep aside
Bring the milk to boil in a thick bottomed pot, reduce the flame, add the grated beetroot and sugar, and keep stirring till the milk thickens completely.
Towards the end, throw in the cashewnuts, so it cooks a bit, but not too much.
Garnish with powdered cardamon and serve chilled

No comments:

Post a Comment