Dec 4, 2013

Meethi imli chutney

For someone who loves imli chutney as much as I do, it is rather surprising that I've never attempted to make imli chutney till now. It is not that the store bought imli chutney is good- far from it- it is perhaps just that I have never felt the need for it till now.
But with Punjabi dahi bhallas on the menu, I couldn't really do without imli chutney, could I? Considering the recipe is of my own invention, I think it turned out pretty good.

1/3 cup dates cut lengthwise
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
1 tablespoon raisins
3 tbsp jaggary
1/2 tsp Sonth/ Dry ginger powder
1/2 tsp saunf
1/2 tsp jeera
1 tsp red chilli powder
3/4 cup water
 

Method
Boil the water, add the chopped dates, and simmer for about 10 minutes till the dates are really soft and can be mashed.
Meanwhile, roast the saunf and the jeera separately, powder coarsely and keep aside.
Add jaggery and tamarind concentrate, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt, red chili powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, sonf powder and dry ginger powder.
Cool, grind till smooth. Pour it back into the pot, add the raisins and give it one final boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment