Dec 8, 2013

Cheese-garlic braided bread

It has been more than a month since I baked bread. After making jam roly-poly twice, a few days apart, I sensed bread fatigue setting in, so decided to give my family a bit of a break. The break eventually became much longer than I'd intended, and I was not sure if the yeast I had been hoarding would still work. Which is why, I stuck to my basic bread recipe instead of experimenting with something new.

At the end of 15 minutes, the loaf looked done, but the colour was still very pale, so I brushed it with butter, and grilled for about 5 minutes- next time to avoid the extra crunch, I will do so for only 2 or 3 minutes.


2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil

4 pods garlic grated
4 tbsp grated cheese
2 tbsp chopped olives
Oregano to taste

In a large bowl, combine yeast, warm water (only about 1/3 cup), and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes, until foamy.  If the yeast doesn't become foamy, let it rise for 10 minutes more- unless it is foamy, you are better off throwing it out and starting afresh
Add in flour and salt and mix well. Add the olive oil, and mix till crumbly.
Add the yeast, and knead for about 2 minutes. Add cheese, garlic, oregano and olives and mix well. Cover the bowl and let rise for 45 minutes in a warm place. 
Deflate the dough, divide it into three equal parts, and roll each into a long cylinder. Join one end of the cylinders together, and make a loose braid, closing up the end when done.
Keep it aside and let it rise for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Brush the top with some milk, place the bread on a greased baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove, run butter on the top, and grill for 2 minutes so well browned.
Remove to a wire rack, and let it cool before serving.


Delicious with a pat of butter and hot tomato soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment