Oct 26, 2013

Stuffed karela

"If you don't eat properly, I am making karelas for dinner tomorrow", is the threat I often make, but never follow up on, because I am not exactly fond of karela myself. Karela subji is either bitter, or is fried so much all taste has been knocked out of it, and I don't see the point in subjecting myself to either.
At the same time, the subji remained a bit of a challenge, so when a friend gave me a recipe that called for very little oil, I was eager to try it out. It lived up to all that she said it would be, but will I make it again- unlikely. It is just not worth the trouble.


250 gms karelas
salt

3 tbsp besan
2 tbsp grated coconut
salt, amchur powder, jeera powder to taste

Oil for frying

Scrap the skin off the karelas, coat with salt, and allow it to soak for an hour. Wash the salt off, squeeze dry, slit lengthwise and deseed.
Roast the besan in a kadhai. When it is browned, add the coconut, and the spices and stir on a low flame for about a minute.
Stuff the karelas, tie them up with a thread, and shallow fry till cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment