Oct 29, 2013

Sarson ka saag

Sarson ka saag. The name alone is enough to send me into ruptures. I was introduced to the dish only after marriage, and the first time I had it, I wondered what all the hype was about. But after you have tasted it in assorted dhabbas in and around Delhi a couple of times, it is nearly impossible to remain indifferent to it.
The last time I had it was on a biting cold winter afternoon in a five start dhabba on the Chandigarh- Delhi Highway. Just thinking about it, whisks me back to cold noses, and layers of warm clothing. Bliss.
So, when I saw my subjiwalla selling something that he called sarson ka saag, I immediately picked it up. Only after getting home did I look for recipes, and go in search of the palak saag and the mooli saag that I needed to complete the dish.
Overall, quite a satisfying experience!

1 bunch mustard leaves/sarson
½ bunch spinach leaves/palak
1 cup chopped tender radish leaves/mooli ke patte
2-3 inches radish/mooli
1 cup fenugreek/methi leaves, chopped (I skipped it)
2 medium sized onions, chopped
3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
2 inch ginger, chopped
2 green chilies, chopped
7-8 garlic, chopped
½ tsp red chili powder
a generous pinch or two of asafoetida or ¼ tsp asafoetida powder
2 to 3 cups water
2 tbsp maize flour
salt as required

for the tempering for 3 servings:
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 to 2 tbsp oil
3 bowls of cooked saag

Instructions
Clean and chop all the greens, then wash them thoroughly. In a pressure cooker take all the ingredients listed under saag except for maize flour, and cook for about 10 minutes.
Pour the cooked greens along with the stock and maize flour in a blender, and blend till smooth.
In another pan, pour the pureed greens, and simmer for about half an hour.
Heat oil or ghee in a kadhai, add the chopped onions and fry them till light brown.
Add to the prepared saag, stir and simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring ocaasionally.
Serve sarson ka saag hot with a dollop of butter, with makki di roti

No comments:

Post a Comment