Oct 12, 2013

Poori

Poori with aloo subji was always Sunday lunch at my mother's place. When we had a full-time maid, the four of us would be gathered at the table, and be fed hot hot pooris. After we moved to Calcutta, my mother would fry the pooris, and my father and I would engage in a battle with her to see if she could feed us pooris faster, or we consume them faster. Naturally, when I got a chance, I wanted to try my hand at pooris, and the first attempt wasn't half bad!


3 Cups- Wheat Flour
2/3 Cups- Water to knead the dough
1 tsp – Ajwain (Carrom Seeds)
 Oil for deep frying

Method 
Knead the dough using the flour, water and the ajwain. The dough should be non sticky and smooth.
Rest the dough for half an hour.
Make balls of the dough and roll them out into small rounds of 4-5 inches diameter.
When you are nearly done, heat oil in a Kadhai till it is very hot. To test the oil, put a small flattened piece of the dough in the oil and if it immediately rises up the oil is ready.
Put one rolled out poori into the oil and lightly press it with a spatula so that it swells up.
Now flip it over and once both sides are golden brown, take out the poori. Drain on kitchen napkins, and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment