Oct 29, 2013

Makai ki roti- the version that didn't quite work

When you have sarson ka saag, can makai ki roti be far behind? Luckily, I had a packed to makai ka atta in my pantry, so didn't have to go in search of if when I decided to make sarson ka saag. I got the recipe from the internet, but the rotis didn't come out the way they should have. A bunch of people did give me tips for next time, and I will hopefully be able to master them soon.
2 cups maize flour/corn meal
½ cup water
½ tsp ajwain/carom seeds
ghee for frying the rotis
salt

Method
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add half of the water and knead, adding more water if required. Knead into a firm dough.
Form medium sized balls of the dough, and using a greased surface, pat them into flat rotis.
Roast the makki di rotis on a tava/griddle with 2-3 tsp of ghee till well browned and cooked.
Top the makki di roti with butter and serve hot with saag.

Tips for next time- use warm water, instead of cold. And use 1/3 whole wheat flour to make it easier to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment