Oct 8, 2013

Langarwali Daal

Though I have never had it in a Sikh gurudwara, the Langarwali Dal is one of my favourite dals. I looked for a recipe, and since all of them spoke about slow cooking on an open flame, I convinced myself that it was a dal that I would never have the patience to make at home. But when the subjiwala gave me mint leaves instead of curry leaves (too little for chutney, too much for garnish), I decided to adapt the recipe for a pressure cooker, and was quite happy with the results.



1 cup black urad dal
1/2 cup chana dal
5 cups water
1 large onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
2 inch size pieces of of ginger
1 large tomato
Few sprigs of Fresh mint
4 green chilies split length wise
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
Lightly roasted cumin, ground 1/2 teaspoon
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk


Mince the onion, the ginger and the garlic and keep aside.
Coarsely grind the ginger and garlic with a few sprigs mint.
Wash the dals well, add water, minced onions, ground ginger, garlic and mint, green chillies and cook on the pressure cooker for 20 minutes after the first whistle.
Melt butter in a pan till hot, add tomatoes and fry. Make a paste of red chili and cumin in a teaspoon of hot water, add to the tomatoes, and let it cook for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, mix turmeric in the milk and add to the dal. Add the fried tomatoes, and cover and cook on the lowest heat till thick.
Garnish with mint leaves fried in ghee.

No comments:

Post a Comment