Mar 6, 2013

Vegetarian dhansak

My mother got this recipe from the mother of one of her classmates, and I grew up knowing this as dhansaak. After I moved to Bombay, I ordered it at Jimmy Boy and all the other Parsi restaurants, but none of them tasted quite the same. This then, is the authentic version of my mother's dhansaak, even if the jury is out on whether or not this is the "real" thing.



1 cup tur dal
1 small brinjal
1 bunch methi leaves
1 medium potato






1 onion
ghee
2 limes

For ground masala
dhania patta
6 deseeded green chillis
2 pods of garlic
1 tsp jeera
sugar
salt
haldi powder
1 tsp dhania powder
5 cloves
10 peppercorns
 


Pressure cook the dal, brinjal, methi leaves and potatoes till soft. 
Beat in mixie to get smooth consistency.
Grind together everything listed under "ground masala", and keep aside
Dice the onion and fry in ghee till brown, add ground masala, fry till rawness goes, add to the dal, cook till it boils. 
Remove from fire, add juice of 2 limes.

I serve it with Parsi brown rice

No comments:

Post a Comment