Mar 28, 2013

Malpuas made with whole-wheat atta, mashed bananas and milk

Malpuas and dahi vadas were traditional Holi fare when I was growing up. I've lost count of the number of plates of malpuas that used to be sent home, and if that was not enough, no matter who invited us home for Holi dinner, malpuas would be on the menu. I've never had the guts to try my hand at making malpuas, but since I was assured that they were pretty easy to make, I had to attempt them, at least once.
They looked awful (specially since the only malpuas I have ever had were made by experts), but tasted pretty good. And yes, they were all polished off within no time at all- but that could be because people were exhausted with all that playing.

 


2 bananas
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
3 tbsp sugar (can be more, if you like it very sweet)
1/2 cup milk 
oil for deep frying

Mash two over-ripe bananas. Add 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, a pinch of salt and sugar to taste (I used only about 3 tbsp) and mix well.
Add about 1/2 cup milk and make a loose batter (same consistency as dosa batter). Add more or less milk as required.
Let it stand for 30 minutes.
Heat sufficient oil in a pan. Test heat by putting a drop of batter in the oil- if it sinks down, then rises up, the oil is ready.
Pour batter in the oil in a circular movement. When one side is done, turn over and fry the other side. Drain on kitchen towels.

You can dunk the malpuas in a sugar syrup, but I prefer not to. You can also garnish with chopped dried fruits, but I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment