Mar 28, 2013

Tair vadais - shallow fried version

For as long as I can remember, I have loved both tair vadais and dahi bhallas, and all the permutations in-between. After the Eureka moment, when I thought of making the vadas in a paniyaram pan, I have been making them quite frequently. 
Though one would think that dahi vada is a more authentic thing to make on Holi, I made Tair Vadai, since that is what my mother used to make when we were living in Bihar.



For the vadais-
Soak 1 measure urad dal for 2- 8 hours ( I did for 4 hours).
With minimal water, grind the soaked urad dal, a few curry leaves (torn), 2- 3 peppercorns till fine (the way to test if the dal is done is to drop a bit in water- if it starts floating right away, it is done).
Add salt to taste and a few pieces of coconut and mix well.
Using an appam tray, make vadas, the same way as you would paniyarams (a slightly watery batter works better than thick one).

For the Tair-
Take 1/2 a coconut grated, 1 green chilli, 1 inch piece ginger, and grind till smooth. Beat mixture into 1 1/2 cups dahi, with salt to taste.

Dunk the vadais in the prepared dahi, and serve chillied.

No comments:

Post a Comment