Jan 7, 2013

Saboot Masoor Dal

The saga began when the grocer sent me saboot masoor instead of the saboot moong that I asked for. I'd grown up believing the only way to cook this dal was by frying it to death, then burying it in gravy, and I contemplated a long, lonely, unloved existence for the dal.
Then Aalok posted a photograph of IFF, and told me it was one of the most forgiving of dals. And Bindu Pandit added her inputs. And therein lies the start of a new love affair.


 Dry roast saboot masoor dal. Wash it well, then pressure cook with haldi, hing, amchur powder and salt till tender (one whistle, 15 mins on lower flame worked for me).
Add a tadka of zeera and red chillies. Add salt and about 1 tbsp kasoori methi, and bring to boil.
That's it!


Same dish, cooked on March 26, 2014. Literally fingerlickingly good!

No comments:

Post a Comment