Jan 18, 2013

Rajasthani haldi-ki-sabji

Haldi is good for a cold, they said. And I went and bought 100 gms of it. Knew I couldn't consume that much, so asked google for help. What emerged was tasty, and nutritious, and tasted pretty good with rotis. But, and it is a big BUT (but, I said, not butt, though that too is big), it was all of that only all that when you knew you had to have it for the goodness. I am sure I will never make it because I "want to" have it, but when I "need to", it's something I will definitely turn to.

[Proportions are approximate, because the recipes were all for 250 gms, and I reduced everything my way.]

Peel and grate 100 gms raw haldi (better still get someone to do it for you). Keep aside.
Mix 1 tsp each of red chilli powder and dhania in about 3 tbsp curds, and salt to taste. Keep aside.
Shell about 15-20 peas, fry in ghee and keep aside.
Add a little more ghee, a pinch of hing, jeera, red chillies and fry till done.
Add grated haldi (and a bit more ghee if required), and fry till it starts turning brown (do a taste test to check that it is not bitter).
Add curds, and cook till the gravy thickens.
Add peas, turn off the fire, cover and let it cook in its own steam for a few minutes.

Serve with rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment