Jan 23, 2013

Gajar ka halwa

Gajar Halwa has always been one of my favourite sweets. Every winter, my mother would wait for those maroon carrots to come to the market, so she could make gajar halwa. I don't know what quantity she made it in, but I do remember that in winters, there was always gajar halwa for lunch, and dinner, and inbetween.

Hubby being a proper Punjabi prefers gajar halwa with mawa and ghee, but this is the version I prefer to make, because it is also so healthy.

This was the gajar halwa I made to celebrate 15 years of marriage.




4 cup grated carrots
4 cup whole cream milk
1 cup sugar
cardamon powder
ghee
dry fruits for garnish

Grate carrots. Measure the volume. Keep aside.
In a non-stick kadhai, head the same volume of milk as you have grated carrots. When the milk comes to a boil, reduce the flame, add the grated carrots and cook (with constant stirring) till the milk thickens.
When almost done, add sugar as per taste (for 4 cups of carrots, I added 1 cup of sugar), powdered cardamon, and a little bit of ghee, stir well, and keep cooking till most of the milk evaporates.
Can be had hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment