Jan 15, 2013

Oats upma

I've never been a great fan of oats, but you can't deny it's health benefits, which is why I like to experiment with it, hoping something nice turns up. This definitely was nice, but not as nice as a regular upma.


Roast 1/2 cup oats till the raw smell goes (but before it starts browning).
Heat 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, add mustard seeds, and when it starts spluttering add an inch piece of ginger cut fine. After about 30 seconds add 1 medium onion copped fine (I had spring onions, so used that), and when it starts turning transparent, add 1/2 capsicum chopped fine and a few cashewnuts. Saute till the capsicum looks done.
Add 3/4 cups water, and bring to boil. Add roasted oats, and 2 tbsp curds, and cook on low heat till the oats are well cooked.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve piping hot (I didn't because I am saving the few that I have for the evening dal).

Normally, I squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon for the khatta, but wanted a change and substituted curds instead. Tasted good, but was slightly mushier than I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment