May 18, 2015

Nutella - cashewnuts

Nutella is one of my addictions, but after reading about the quality of ingredients going into it, I've stopped getting it. Why not just restrict consumption, one might ask. But I know myself well- if it comes into the house it will be consumed immediately, so better go cold turkey with it. 
But the taste buds remember what it was like to indulge in pure bliss, so I've started experimenting with making it at home. With cashew-nuts, it is not exactly low calorie, but at least I control the ingredients that go into it and I know it is not toxic. 


100 gms cashew nuts
6 tsp cooking oil (neutral tasting- safflower works)
A pinch of salt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2-3 tbsp granulated sugar (or grind regular sugar)

Method:
Roast the cashew nuts till the raw smell goes. Allow it to cool
Blend the cashew nuts for 2 minutes.
Add the oil and blend for another 2 minutes. 
Add cocoa powder, salt and sugar and blend for a minute more. 
You should get a creamy consistency. Cool and store. 
Transfer to a glass bottle and put it in the fridge. It will keep for about a month if it lasts that long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment