Apr 9, 2015

Red Coconut Chutney

Very often, when we eat out, we end up getting a "red" coconut chutney with our dosas and idlis. I always liked it (and had more of it than the regular chutney), but never thought to make it myself. Then, I tasted it in the office canteen, and liked it so much, I got the recipe and tried it out myself. The kids and I all loved it, and even though it is a little tougher than the regular one, I know I will be making it too.

1/2 coconut, grated
1/2 large onion, chopped
4-6 pods garlic, sliced lengthwise
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 red chilli
Salt to taste
1 tsp cooking oil

For tempering
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
A pinch of hing
1 tsp cooking oil

Method:
Heat the oil. Add garlic and onions, and saute till transparent. Add chopped tomatoes, and saute till it turns mushy.
Grind coconut, garlic-onion-tomato mix, red chilli and salt to your desired consistency.
Heat the oil, add the mustard seeds. When they stop spluttering add hing and curry leaves and toss around. Pour over the chutney and mix well.
Serve with piping hot dosas or idlis.

No comments:

Post a Comment